Several Bomb Threats Reported Across Jamaica

The Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) is currently investigating several bomb threats that were made on Friday, targeting multiple of the island’s government agencies.

According to reports, the threats were made in an email which was sent to the Passport, Immigration, and Citizenship Agency (PICA). In addition to the threats made against PICA, the email also warned that other government agencies would be targeted.

As a result, operations at PICA offices in the Corporate Area, Montego Bay, Mandeville, May Pen, and Port Antonio were affected. Additionally, the staff at PICA, the National Housing Trust, and the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development were evacuated from their offices as a precautionary measure.

Commissioner Stewart Beckford from the Jamaica Gire Brigade shared with the press that the brigade was stretched as it was forced to respond to all the incidents across the country. However, the JCF disclosed in a statement that the threats that have been received so far have proven to be unfounded.

Nonetheless, the Constabulary Force said that it is continuing to treat each report with the utmost seriousness.

“Our specialised teams are actively responding, and necessary security protocols are being enforced to protect staff, the public, and critical services,” the JCF statement said.

The JCF also said that while their investigations into the threats are ongoing, they are reminding the public that such actions are against the law. The JCF added that it will pursue every lead to ensure that the guilty parties are identified and held accountable.

The bomb threats come amid Friday’s special voting exercise for the security forces. The Jamaica Labour Party’s (JLP) General Secretary, Dr. Horace Chang, has since labelled the bomb threats as being politically motivated and staged to interrupt today’s voting process.